What comes to mind when you hear the words “spirited getaway”?
Think on that a moment more.
For weeks, cards and posters have been appearing in select businesses throughout the Riverhead area, teasing the North Fork with those words: Spirited Getaway.
On Wednesday evening, 150 guests were invited to an unveiling party for a whole new concept in North Fork experiences: A Spirited Getaway!
The first thing the guests were treated to was the Crooked Ladder Fire Truck. This fire truck saw duty in Jamesport Long Island for many years before being converted to a mobile tasting vehicle: An emergency mobile tasting vehicle. The staff from Crooked Ladder Brewing Company poured their Outta My Vine Pumpkin Ale and CLB German-style Kolsch, welcoming the Spirited Away guests as they arrived.
Inside the tent, beside the Baiting Hollow Farm Vineyard, James Junk, the executive chef for Bistro 72, the very retro restaurant attached to Hotel Indigo, prepared an autumnal spread of seasonal and colorful delicacies and a dozen bite-sized hors d’oeuvres passed by the Bistro 72 staff.
To the side of the food, Long Island Spirits was chilling their LIV – Long Island Vodka, as well as their Sorbetta’s (vodka steeped with real fruit), whiskey and bourbon, all for tasting.
Inside the tasting room at Baiting Hollow Farm Vineyards, the staff was pouring tastes of their wine and handing out cups of their merlot meatballs.
All guests were treated to a swag bag at the end of the evening, containing among other things, a Pine Barrens Whiskey shotglass, a Tanger Outlet coupon book, and a gift certificate for Bistro 72.
Now the secret is out!
Beginning today, when you come out east on Long Island (Riverhead is where the North and South Forks of Long Island begin), you can stay at Hotel Indigo and book a Spirited Getaway.
A Spirited Getaway Shuttle will transport you among the partner locations:
- Baiting Hollow Farm Vineyard. In addition to their selection of wines to taste or drink by the glass, they are a horse rescue sanctuary, so you can also see all the majestic horses living their lives in safety. On the weekends they have live music as well as food and fun events.
- Crooked Ladder Brewing Company. The comfortable tasting room shares the space with their microbrewery, so as you sample their selection – if you’re lucky – you can watch them brewing it. Their selection of beers changes during the week, so it is often worth returning to see what is new on the tap.
- Bistro 72. Sure it’s at the Hotel where you started, but this culinary destination will have you coming back. Outdoor fireplace seating, indoor lounge atmosphere. Live music Wednesday through Saturday. Their menu is locally sourced: beer, wine, spirits, and much of the food was produced right here. For their 7 Days of Bistro 72, each day of the week has discount specials; for example, their Empire Monday offers 1/2 price NY craft spirits, $5 pints of LI draft beer, $6 glasses of LI wine, and a $29 prix fixe dinner.
- Hotel Indigo. A pet-friendly hotel offering full service spa treatments to help you relax, a swimming pool, and 100 well-appointed guestrooms.
- Long Island Spirits . The first craft distillery on Long Island in almost 200 years. They make LIV vodka from Long Island potatoes, Pine Barrens American Single Malt Whiskey, a wide variety of Sorbettas (lemon, lime, orange, strawberry, and raspberry), Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Bull Moose Three-Barrel Rye Whiskey, and Sherwood House XO Brandy.
- Tanger Outlets. Over 200 high-end factory outlet stores.
If that seems like a lot to do, it is. There are still other Riverhead area attractions: Splish-Splash, the LI Aquarium, multiple golf courses, over 50 other wineries, breweries, and restaurants. Let’s not forget the farm stands and beaches. Don’t feel you need to do it all; the tasting vouchers that come with a Spirited Getaway don’t expire so they can be used when you come back.